Sara sees herself as a member of a company’s HR team.
Clients utilize her varied background by treating her as a consultant and advisor on employment law topics. Sara counsels HR professionals on the development of proactive policies, procedures, and protocols drafted to retain talent and create a positive work environment. Sara has previous experience working inside a corporation so she understands the myriad of employment issues that HR professionals and business owners face every day. Her focus is on providing proactive advice by identifying issues before they arise so that her clients can minimize their risk and avoid the expensive legal fees associated with litigation.
Sara is a sought after presenter, and presents nationwide on topics affecting HR professionals. Actively involved in the local Society of Human Resource Management chapter, serving as a board member, she is connected to the HR community and is therefore skilled at providing solutions to real-life situations. She counsels clients in the private sector from a broad range of industries. Her experience includes:
- Counseling employers on every aspect of federal and state employment laws, including laws regarding drug and alcohol testing, background checks, employee privacy, wrongful discharge, antidiscrimination, anti-harassment, plant closing and mass lay-off, wage and hour, family medical leave, and reasonable accommodation.
- Representing employers in employment litigation matters and in the administrative setting including Wisconsin and Minnesota state and federal agencies.
- Guiding employers in conducting workplace investigations.
- Representing employers in Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) and Department of Labor (DOL) audits.
- Reviewing employer wage and hour practices including, exempt/non-exempt position classifications, meal/rest break practices, off the clock and record keeping issues.
- Drafting employee handbooks, separation agreements, disciplinary memoranda, affirmative action plans, employment contracts, non-compete agreements and independent contractor agreements.
- Conducting employment law training, including but not limited to, sexual harassment training for employees and “employment law basics” training for management.
Sara frequently posts to The Blue Ink Employment blog.
- Keep Area TEENs Safe (KATS) – Board Member (2021–present)
- Wausau Child Care Foundation – Member (2012–present)
- Wausau Area Performing Arts Foundation, Inc. – Board Member (2012–2015), Fundraising Committee (2012–2015)
- Wausau Child Care, Inc. – Past President, Board Member (2005–2011)
- Society of Human Resource Management – Member
- Central Wisconsin Society of Human Resource Management – Board Member (2005-2023)