By Jessica A. Merkel
August 9, 2021
On Friday, August 6, 2021, Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers signed into law six new laws for Wisconsin. One of the new laws, addresses five key issues regarding the elderly. They are:
- Increased penalties for crimes committed against an elderly individual.
- Increased the penalty for the sexual assault of an elderly individual.
- Creates a crime of physical abuse against an elderly individual.
- Creates a procedure for a court of law to freeze or seize a defendant’s assets if charged with a financial exploitation crime involving an elderly individual.
- Allows an elderly individual to seek a restraining order to appear in court via telephone or live audiovisual means.
Governor Evers’ press release stated, “Aging and older Wisconsinites are particularly vulnerable to financial and physical abuse and exploitation, and unfortunately, we are seeing a devastating and concerning rise in these crimes.” He went on to say, “This bill is an important bipartisan action to help put an end to elder abuse and protect some of our most vulnerable loved ones and neighbors.”
We will continue to monitor these new laws and provide updates as we continue to learn more about their use and implementation in the protection of Wisconsin seniors.
At Ruder Ware, our elder law team regularly works with families and their loved ones to develop plans that preserve and protect the well-being, safety, dignity, and assets of our elders. Please contact us if we can help you or your family members.
The content in the following blog posts is based upon the state of the law at the time of its original publication. As legal developments change quickly, the content in these blog posts may not remain accurate as laws change over time. None of the information contained in these publications is intended as legal advice or opinion relative to specific matters, facts, situations, or issues. You should not act upon the information in these blog posts without discussing your specific situation with legal counsel.
© 2022 Ruder Ware, L.L.S.C. Accurate reproduction with acknowledgment granted. All rights reserved.