John Fisher is an experienced health care attorney who has practiced extensively throughout the country providing counsel to a wide variety of health care providers.
John has counseled health care clients, including hospitals, physicians, and health systems on health care regulatory compliance, contracts, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, recruitment and compensation issues, integrated network development, and Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. John is knowledgeable on the laws and regulations that affect financial relationships between health care providers including the Stark Law, Anti-kickback Statute and safe harbor regulations, fraud and abuse, antitrust and exempt organization tax issues.
John has committed his career to remaining current on the ever changing regulations that impact health care providers. He has been a frequent author and speaker on health law regulatory issues. John is also an active blogger on these issues and operates the Health Law Blog at http://www.healthlaw-blog.com and Wisconsin Health Lawyer at http://www.wisconsinhealthlawyer.com/.
John holds Certification in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) with the Health Care Compliance Association and is a Certified Compliance Ethics Professional (CCEP) with the Society for Corporate Compliance and Ethics joining only a handful of other practicing attorneys in the country to hold dual compliance certifications.
John’s experience includes:
- Served as general counsel and/or special health care counsel for most types of businesses in the health care industry including: hospitals and health systems, professional associations, home health and hospice providers, ambulatory surgery centers, long-term care facilities, independent diagnostic facilities, independent practice associations, single- and multi-specialty group practices, billing companies, medical management companies, preferred provider organizations, health maintenance organizations and others.
- Advised clients on an ongoing and transactional basis on health care fraud and abuse, Anti-kickback Statute and safe harbor regulations, all iterations of the Stark Law, and other regulatory requirements that affect operations and transactions.
- Structured and formed various integrated delivery systems including multi-specialty and single-specialty independent practice associations, large and small physician group practices, and physician/hospital organizations.
- Involved in numerous health care business transactions including joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions.
- Prepared and negotiated a wide variety of contracts in the health care industry.
- Advised clients on Medicare Reimbursement, compliance programs and other regulatory matters that impact their businesses.
John presents on a number of topics facing the health care industry, including:
- Physician Employment & Compensation
- Integrated Delivery System Structure
- Health Care Antitrust
- Board of Director Duties & Obligation
- Fraud & Abuse “Hot Topics”
- Compliance Program Structure & Operation
- Compliance Program Effectiveness Reviews
- Homme, Inc. of Wisconsin – Board of Directors (2013–present), Board Chairman (2015–2016)
- Montessori School of Wausau – Board of Directors (2008)
- Wausau Community Meals Program – Volunteer (2009 – present)
- Wausau Conservatory of Music – Board Member (2020–present)
- Woodson YMCA – Youth Sports Coach (2007–2011)
- Wausau Youth Baseball and Softball – Board of Directors
- 8th Grade Travel Basketball – Coach
- American Health Lawyers Association – Member
- Health Care Compliance Association – Member
- Medical Group Management Association – Member
- Wisconsin Hospital Association – Member