Stew learned a number of things regarding client service over his more than 35 years practicing law. Most importantly, he’s found clients want practical solutions and don’t want to be bogged down with making complicated decisions without the advice from someone they trust. Many clients refer to Stew as their “trusted advisor.” He has broad-based experience in buying and selling businesses as well as general business transactions.
Having previously served as in-house counsel for a bank and a bank holding company with more than $1 billion in assets, Stew understands the issues faced by banks and other financial institutions. He provides advice and counsel to clients regarding secured loan documentation, workouts of problem loans, regulatory and compliance matters, merger and acquisition transactions involving banks and bank holding companies, and branch acquisition and sale transactions.
For the firm’s general business clients, Stew works on a variety of general corporate matters. He advises on business organization and start-up issues, negotiates commercial contracts, and assists business organizations and their owners with mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures. Stew’s experience covers a wide variety of industries.
Examples of recent transactions include:
- Providing counsel to Boards of Directors and senior management of various business entities.
- Assisting companies with a wide variety of general corporate matters, including the acquisitions of new lines of business.
- Assisting owners of closely held companies in connection with stock sales to private equity buyers.
- Assisting banks and bank holding companies in the acquisition and divestiture of other banks and bank branches.
A native Wisconsinite, when not practicing law Stew can be found enjoying outdoor recreational activities and rooting on his beloved Wisconsin Badgers or Green Bay Packers.
B.B.A. (with honors), University of Wisconsin - Madison (1977)
Honors: Phi Kappa Phi
J.D., University of Wisconsin - Madison (1980)
Wisconsin Law Review, Board of Editors
- American Bar Association - Section Member: Business Law
- State Bar of Wisconsin - Section Member: Bankruptcy; Business Law
- Marathon County Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
Wisconsin Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Commercial Law League of America - Member
- Community Foundation of North Central Wisconsin - Board of Directors (2005 - 2011)
- Newman Catholic Schools - Finance Committee (2002 - present)
- Wausau Country Club - Board Member (2000 - 2004)
- Wausau Festival of Arts - Director (2000 - 2005)
- Wheels to Work Project - Advisory Committee (2010 - present)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northcentral Wisconsin, Inc. - Board Member (2015 - present)
- Aspirus Health Foundation - Board Member (2015 - present)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point - Chancellor's Advisory Council (2015 - present)
- Murco Foundation - Board Member (Present)